We think about AV policy in five broad areas:
- Land Use & Urban Planning
- Public Transportation & Vehicle Ownership
- Health & Safety
- Autonomous Vehicles Policy Around the Globe
For each of them, we have accumulated a short list of articles, both from academic publications and from news outlets, which we consider a good basis to have an informed discussion about each individual sub-topic. We update this page every few months to keep this AV policy knowledge toolkit up to speed with the rapid development of AVs.
Land Use & Urban Planning
- Douglass-Jaimes, David. “How Driverless Cars Could, Should - and Shouldn’t - Reshape Our Cities.” ArchDaily, January 22, 2016.
- Edmondson, David. “What Do Driverless Cars Mean for Suburban Planning?” The Greater Marin, February 16, 2015.
- Hudson, Paul. “How Driverless Cars Could Change the Urban Landscape.” The Telegraph. October 12, 2016.
- Lubell, Samuel. “Here’s How Self-Driving Cars Will Transform Your City.” WIRED, October 21, 2016.
- Sisson, Patrick. “Driverless Cars Will Shrink Our Roads and Radically Reshape Urban Space.” Curbed, May 26, 2016.
- Walker, Alissa. “How San Francisco Plans to Use Self-Driving Cars to Fix Its Housing Crisis.” Gizmodo. May 24, 2016.
Public Transportation & Vehicle Ownership
- Dia, Hussein. “Driverless Cars Will Change the Way We Think of Car Ownership.” The Conversation, November 5, 2015.
- Jaffe, Eric. “7 Benefits and 1 Huge Problem With a World Full of Driverless Taxis.” CityLab. Accessed December 4, 2016.
- Knight, Will. “A Self-Driving Taxi Service Highlights the Uncanny Valley of Robotic Cars.” MIT Technology Review, October 18, 2016.
- Bettencourt, Luis. “The Driverless Car Revolution: Which Cities Will Lead?” Fortune.com, October 4, 2016.
- Freemark, Yonah. “Will Autonomous Cars Change the Role and Value of Public Transportation?” The Transport Politic, June 23, 2015.
- Guala, Luca. “Driverless Buses Will Be More Transformative than Driverless Taxis.” Human Transit, November 29, 2014.
- Kilcoyne, Ron. “A Transit Manager on Driverless Cars.” Human Transit, January 28, 2013.
- “Driverless Cars Could Create Huge Traffic Congestion Problems.” Claims Journal, May 17, 2016.
- Karpilow, Quentin, and Clifford Winston. “A New Route to Increasing Economic Growth: Reducing Highway Congestion with Autonomous Vehicles.” Mercatus Center at George Mason University, January 1, 2017.
- Kilcoyne, Ron. “Autonomous Vehicles and the VMT Problem.” Human Transit, November 13, 2015.
- Lowy, Joan. “Don’t Count on Robot Cars Easing Traffic Congestion.” The Register-Guard, May 22, 2016.
- Schoettle, Brandon, and Michael Sivak. “Potential Impact of Self-Driving Vehicles on Household Vehicle Demand and Usage.” The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, 2015.
Health & Safety
- Condliffe, Jamie. “Humans Will Bully Mild-Mannered Autonomous Cars into Submissions on the Roads.” MIT Technology Review, November 3, 2016.
- Condliffe, Jamie. “Semi-Autonomous Cars Could Increase Distracted Driving Deaths.” MIT Technology Review, September 21, 2016.
- “Federal Automated Vehicles Policy: Accelerating the Next Revolution in Roadway Safety.” Washington, D.C.: United States Department of Transportation, 2016.
- Kalra, Nidhi. “To Hit the Road, Driverless Cars Must Be Safe, Not Perfect.” The RAND Blog, January 29, 2015.
- Kalra, Nidhi. “With Driverless Cars, How Safe Is Safe Enough?” The RAND Blog, February 1, 2016.
- “Moral Machine.” Moral Machine. Accessed December 4, 2016.
- Rosenblum, Andrew. “The Federal Government May Set Rules for When a Car Can Kill Its Driver.” MIT Technology Review, September 2, 2016.
Autonomous Vehicles Policy Around The Globe
- Gutman, Lior. "Uber Provokes Israeli Regulator with Launch of New Service." CTech, January 1, 2017.
- German Test Area Autonomous Driving and Its Regulation.