Harvard Kennedy School is the global thought leader in public policy and public leadership education. But not all learners have the ability to attend courses on our Cambridge campus. Delivered fully online, the Public Leadership Credential program equips learners around the world with the skills and knowledge they need to tackle some of today's biggest challenges, advance the public good, and make an immediate impact in their communities.
Explore how the PLC could make you a more effective leader.
Designed and directed by renowned Harvard Kennedy School faculty, this unique program explores HKS pedagogy in three subject areas, including Evidence for Decisions, Policy Design and Delivery, and Leadership and Ethics. Each subject area is comprised of two courses and offers stimulating, collaborative educational experiences similar to those in our degree programs. Upon successful completion of all six PLC courses and the capstone assessment, you will earn the credential.
"We created PLC so that people across the globe could help improve their communities and the world around them."
Dan Levy, Senior Lecturer in Public Policy
- Learn 100% online through modules, case studies, and structured group activities developed by Harvard faculty
- Equip yourself with a toolkit for taking immediate action in your community
- Enroll in one course, take multiple courses, or complete all six courses, plus the capstone to earn your credential in as little as 11 months
- Provides a potential pathway to Harvard Kennedy School’s Mid-Career Master in Public Administration or Harvard Extension School’s Master of Liberal Arts program in Government
"The program helped me to apply theory and adaptive leadership to real community projects. Most importantly, it has helped me to better know and manage my emotions during challenging situations."
Gil Zafra, PLC Learner
Learners in the PLC program will:
- Gain skills that lead to targeted, evidence-based decision making
- Become more impactful and effective policymakers
- Acquire leadership frameworks to mobilize people for positive change
- Be exposed to a diversity of global peers and perspectives that will challenge their thinking
Interested in learning more about the Public Leadership Credential from Harvard Kennedy School?
Mercy Samuel, Associate Professor at CEPT University in India, explains how she is using the knowledge she gained in the Public Leadership Credential program to motivate people and create change at the grass-roots level.
PLC Learners by Region
PLC by the Numbers
"The breadth and depth of Harvard Kennedy School's teaching is unparalleled in the online learning space."
Taylor Singh, PLC Alumna
Ready to learn more about the Public Leadership Credential from Harvard Kennedy School? Please complete the short form below.